Carrie's Adventures

Monday, May 09, 2005

Why a blog?

So as I was creating the last update ~ about a month ago, I realized that a photo is worth a thousand words. In efforts to keep you all informed of the attractive whites I was sporting, and with thanks to my friend Beth who sent me a digital camera (have I told you lately how much you rock?!?) I was on a mission to keep you all informed. So I wrote the note, took the photos and went to hit the send button. That is when it went all so horribly wrong.

What I have discovered is that being on a satellite link, IT folks here have implemented a limitation as to how large a file(s) you are able to send. With a large distribution list, updating with photos was just not going to work… so I have opted for another form of update that allows you to check things out and not be spammed by me! How novel.

I will add some additional posts from the last Caribbean days and the crossing just so you are up to date and well informed ~ should you wish to be. I am working on the photo angle and will let you know how that progresses.

With that said, here is the text from about 4 weeks ago while we were still in the Caribbean. Enjoy:

April 9, 2005
Many thanks Beth for bringing me into the digital age… The camera arrived yesterday ~ and I know some of you have been waiting a long time to see me in white clothes!! It is a bit of a stretch from the comfy yoga pants and sweatshirts I wore at Class, but hey what can you do? (Pictures of the daytime whites will be coming shortly…) At least I can wear pants during the day ~ nylons all day every day would be a whole other story.

Got out last week in Barbados to the beach. The tan is progressing, however I don’t think I will ever be as dark as I was when I was in Australia ~ but hey at least I don’t glow in the dark anymore. Only 2 more weeks of beaching before we cross for Europe so I need to get out and take advantage of it!

Things have been relatively good ~ had a vendor on board and she and I took the opportunity to go out for drinks, dinner and the like. Managed to see parts of the ship I had yet to discover. All in all, a good week. Still coping with less sleep ~ learning to love naps as it seems that despite my 6am start, there are some nights I have decided I don’t need to sleep until 3. It reminds me of some of those nights in first year university… Needless to say, I’m back on the Diet Coke ~ and yes Liz, I will drink it warm. J The other thing that reminds me of university is the Officer’s mess ~ unlimited amounts of food at designated hours. Although this time, unlike university, I do manage to get breakfast and I think of Buzz every morning when I assemble my psuedo Sunriser/Egg McMuffin and I see the piles of bacon sitting there. Hmmm – Bacon.

Quite excited as I will actually get to see San Juan next week. Generally I am required to stay with the ship for embarkation, but next week I get to go out. I am already planning my stops ~ Starbucks for a Venti Awake Tea, the mall to pick up all of the things you can’t find in the small islands like Hair goop, some more batteries (you know how important these are Alex…) and hopefully to Old San Juan for dinner.
There have been some rumours that I’m going to lose my single cabin and need to share. I will find out more tomorrow after the folks in Miami meet. But I tell you, I have actually grown quite fond of my wee cubby hole and would hate to give it up ~ not to mention the poor person who would have to live with me… Yikes. Will keep you posted as to the fate of the living arrangements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home