Carrie's Adventures

Monday, May 09, 2005

The Caribbean ~ the final days

April 25, 2005
Why does it seem that just when you are getting comfortable with something, folks up and change things? That seems to be the case here. Now that I am familiar with the ports, know which ones are worth putting in the effort to get extra time off, where I would go when I got off, things are up and changing. A number of the folks on the ship can’t wait to get out the Caribbean and move onto something else. Most of these folks are on second and third contracts and have spent all of their time here, so I can understand their desire to see something other than crystal blue water and sand ~ that said, I’m going to miss it.


Antigua ~ where Karene and Pete got married... cute eh? Posted by Hello

Have been spending as much time as possible going out to the beach and soaking up the rays. I am still in awe each time I find myself on the beach realizing that I am on a ‘break’ from work… Sometimes I go with others, sometimes it is just by myself, but you always manage to find someone on the beach who looks familiar. After fulfilling the desire to parasail in Mexico last fall, the one thing that has eluded me is the Jet Ski. Lindsay and I decided that our last Barbados beach day we would take out the Jet Ski (from Malibu beach). At $50/half hour, this guy was making a killing! As we attempted to barter, he indicated that his high prices were due to the oil crisis. Oil crisis my @ss I thought. None the less, you are in a spot so you go with the flow and you pay the man. We headed out and it was just like being on a snowmobile ~ only difference was you weren’t freezing your butt off and you would catch the occasional spray of salt water. It was good fun and I can see why these are so popular.


Malibu Beach ~ with the Constellation in the background... Posted by Hello

The first two days of our TransAtlantic crossing saw the final days in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Both of these locations are known for their technology gadgets. After checking out the shops, I managed to find beaches on both days and the warmth of the sunshine. While I was sad to be leaving what had become the comforts, I was also looking forward to the next phase of the adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home