Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Holy Smokes

I'm not sure how, but I look at the calendar and realize that it is almost November. I wrote to a friend on Mercury the other day and told him to 'entertain me' to which he replied, perhaps you should update your blog. Not much I could say to that one...

Current Status of things:
Akis is back on the ship. After taking an extension on his holidays of 2 weeks, he arrived back on the ship at the end of September. Time for us to be together for 2 months before I head back home.

I am heading back to ON at the end of my contract. Krista is due on the 30th of November and I'll be helping out until Craig is able to get his leave from school approved and time to be with Krista and the baby. It is still hard for me to believe that she is actually pregnant. I have yet to see belly photos, so as I look at other pregnant women, I am trying to picture her face and somehow, it just doesn't fit. I guess I'll get the whole picture when I get home!

The ship has left Alaska and we are currently traversing the Panama Canal multiple times. We are just finishing our second run through the canal. We have one more run which takes us through to Fort Lauderdale and then the next run has the ship repositioning to South America. I will get a chance to see a couple of the ports along the western side as we head down to Chile where our embark port is. I will be signing off on the 25th which is the official start to our South American season.

Akis will be staying on the ship and our current plan has me returning in January for one last contract. At that time, Akis and I will finish roughly within a month of each other, and then head to Greece in the early spring. Hopefully we will have enough time to plan a wedding, and spend time finishing off Akis house ~ selecting tile, selecting a toilet, selecting counters... you know all that good stuff. So yes, despite my belief that this contract would be my last, it looks like there will be one more.

The Greek lessons are coming along. I have purchased yet another 'Learn Greek' program. This one is actually different from the previous programs. It is computer based and interactive and while it isn't teaching a lot of grammar, it is teaching a lot of vocabulary which is helping with listening in on Akis' conversations. There are moments when he is startled that I actually know what he is saying. I may not know all the words, but I do understand enough of them to get the meaning of what is being said or asked. I am on Unit 3 of 8 Units and then there is a whole other Level once I finish the first one. So hopefully this will mean I won't have to go to Greek school as long. It also emphasizes reading in the native Greek characters. Believe it or not, some of these are actually making sense!

In addition to the Greek, I am trying to be more active at the gym. It isn't always my favourite, but one of the girls here is an aerobics instructor. So between attending her classes and forcing myself onto the treadmill, I am moving towards a more 'healthy' lifestyle.

I have been trying to enjoy the sunshine while we are in the warmer regions. Akis and I were in Grand Cayman, Haultulco and Acapulco the past few days enjoying the sun. Myself, wishing I had used more sunscreen ~ but I won't complain about being too warm. I know that Christmas in ON will come with it's fair share of chills. I might even need to go and buy a new jacket!
I have been on a few excursions the last few weeks in Alaska. I'll post those cause they were pretty cool. Otherwise, things seem to be carrying on. It sometimes seems hard to write, as there doesn't always seem to be too much new. But I'm sure once I get home and have a new neice or nephew, that will change!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home