Carrie's Adventures

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Shopping for the dress

Part of the deal with deciding to have a shorter timeframe for the planning of the wedding is that we would not be ordering a dress. This meant that I was playing a bit of Russian Roulette with coming back to the city after getting off the ship and going to find a dress off the rack. After looking for dresses with Liz, I did have some criteria ~ primarily, minimal poof and material as Athens could be quite hot in August.... To get a bit of an idea of what was out there, Krista and I did go to a Dress shop in Peterborough. We checked out to 2 or 3 dresses at which point I did have a bit of a panic attack thinking, what if I don't find a dress???

I had done some research online and found a couple of bridal 'warehouse' type stores in Toronto that we decided we would check out on the Thursday. The first one required an appointment so we booked for 3 to 3:30pm. The other 2 did not require appointments.

Through a whole series of events, things looked a bit skeptical as we headed out. We had made arrangements for a family friend to come over to meet Chloe and see Krista's house, however they knew we were off to the city so we had a timeline. What we didn't expect to encounter was the ailing baby raccoon that needed to be saved and taken to the Humane Society. After trapping the baby raccoon, we discovered that they were not able to come and get rid of the injured guy, so we had to take a wee side trip to get rid of him, putting the dress shopping on a bit of a delayed start.

With Chloe in tow, and a late start, we managed to get into the city just before 4pm to the first store. For being a 'warehouse', I did suffer sticker shock as we looked through the dresses. I couldn't believe that these discounted dresses were still selling for $999 and $1299. What is that? You wear it for ONE day!! After trying on a few options and realizing I would melt in any of the boufant beauties, we opted to try the next store.

As we drove into the parking lot, the sign on the store said 'All Dresses under $699'. Now this was a good start. We walked in and the woman there was very helpful. I think I tried on more than 12 or 15 dresses and it got to the point that you forgot what the first one looked like. In the end, she was pulling things off of the rack for me to try. The last one we tried was potentially the one. I looked at the price tag, looked at Krista and tried to bring myself to purchase a dress for over $600. This was more than I wanted to spend. Looking at Krista, I couldn't help but think how beautiful the dress was and when I mentioned the price, Krista grabbed the adjacent tag and said the magic words... 50% OFF. Sold to the woman in front of the 5 way mirror. One more thing to take off the list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home