Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Moving Day(s)

Move day is here. We spent the morning with Krista, Craig and Chloe before they headed out to the airport. The movers were scheduled to come at noon and Telus was going to give us a call ~ so we sat and waited.





The moving company was one which had been used by a friend's co-workers. As it turned out, it was perhaps not the best selection I have ever made. When the U-Haul truck pulled up in lieu of a Moving truck which was decked out with the company name, I had to question the validity of my choice. They continued to pull a bike out of the truck, place it on the lawn and in they came.

Dressed in long shorts and moving at the pace of snails, the guys started to assess what we had to move. We hadn't heard from Telus, so I was beginning to wonder what happened to them. I discovered that they only had our land line, which obviously had been moved to the new place. I gave them a call and made arrangements to head out and meet them. Before I left I asked the movers where the wardrobe boxes were and the photo boxes. I was told that they didn't have any. When I asked how they were going to move the photos, they told me it would be better if I moved them myself. WHAT? Isn't this why you hire movers? To move your crap?

Armed with my framed photos, off to the new place. Telus did their bit and to be honest, they were the most enjoyable part of the day. Once the phone was up and running, I called Akis to see how things were going. Apparently it wasn't so well. One of the movers had some 'tummy trouble' and spent 10 to 15 minutes in the bathroom. I decided to head back and try to light a fire under them. They managed to get everything into the truck, but I was shocked to see that they didn't wrap any of our wooden furniture and I was cringing wondering how it would come out the other side. As it turns out, I was right to cringe.

They packed up and headed over to the new location. Leaving before us, they almost forgot the moving dolly and Akis had to chase after them, and they did forget the bike on the front lawn. Despite leaving after them, driving slowly as we had put stuff in the car the we were concerned with them moving, we arrived 10 minutes before they did. The unloading didn't go much better either. I mentioned to the one mover that I was disappointed on how my things were being handled as I saw my table sitting end up on the elevator floow without any protection. There were scrapes and a cracked table leg along the way ~ after expressing displeasure with how they were moving my things, I opted to head out and leave Akis to deal with it all. In the end, I just wanted it to be over. Eventually they unloaded the last box, and we were left with the task of unpacking.




As it turns out Akis forgot about the locker and the next day Aislynn was gracious enough to help us move the contents. We cleaned out the apartment and were ready to hand over the keys. With the final task of filling the holes in the wall, we started off the new year filling the holes, turning over the keys, having breakfast at Sophies, and saying good-bye to our time at 2020 and Kits. It's going to take some getting used to, but I hope I embrace our new neighbourhood like I did our old one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home