Carrie's Adventures

Monday, September 11, 2006

My final thoughts on Greece

OK - it has been 2 months since I have left, but the feelings about my experience there are still the same. The life in Greece is very different that it is at home ~ it seems that people are very social and are out all the time. Now this could have been because it was the summer time and hey, look around Vancouver in the summer and you too would think it is an incredibly social place!! But I can't help but be amazed at their choice of pastimes which is all about meeting up with people for coffee. But I also got the feeling that this is their enjoyment and they definitely seem to live each moment to the fullest!

Now I do have some concerns if I were ever to become a Greek resident. And they are as follows:

The parking. I have never seen people park like this without fear of their car being towed, rammed or in some other manner damaged. They seem to be able to find parking where any true blooded North American would say, 'there is just no way'. And then there was the car that hadn't been moved the whole month I was there. I am sure it is still there and probably a bit more white from the bird crap... Anyway, here is the proof...
















The houses. They are also much smaller. I keep forgetting being in a country as large as Canada, that space isn't always an issue for us. Here with everyone crammed into the city, the homes are apartment style and rarely have the lawn that I am so accustomed to. I now get why Akis was so amazed at the homes in Southampton.

The meals. I'm not sure that I or my digestive system will ever get used to having dinner at 10pm. Somehow that just doesn't seem right ~ but I will get used to the food. That is something I have definitely missed being back here on the ship ~ no more Souvlaki.

The service. Well they give a whole new meaning to customer service. Perhaps it is because they are wanting to go out and have a coffee, of that it just isn't a priority to them, but it seems to be very difficult to get people to do things for you with any kind of speed. Akis has been out to get his passport. Something you would think should be a slightly time consuming, yet routine process. He took a number, just like you do at the deli. He was 30 numbers away. He left to go get coffee. Came back 2, yes 2 hours later, and was 6 numbers away. He went away for another hour, only to find they had passed his number. So he had to do this all over again. When he finally did submit his papers, they told him to come back Monday to collect it. He arrives Monday, still not done. Come again some other time... What is that all about. I think I might go mad!


But on the upside, there are plenty of markets and this is something you don't see every day! This was outside of Akis' apartment and they are there every Tuesday. And you apparently buy everything by the Kilo. No wonder Akis got upset with me for wanting to buy just ONE apple...

















But overall, the people there are very welcoming and I enjoyed my time a lot. I can't wait to go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home