Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Whales

I have wanted to go whale watching for years. I think my first opportunity to go was a number of years ago when some friends came from Toronto/Hamilton to attend a conference in Victoria. They managed to play hookie from the conference, but unfortunately I had a presentation and wasn't able to attend with them. I remember them telling me how fantastic it was, all the wild life and the fact that you were so close was amazing.

Alaska is a great opportunity to see the whales. Reason being is that they aren't in transit. They are actually here for a period of time to birth and start raising their offspring. So unlike areas like Victoria, you have a longer season in which you can catch a glimpse.

The tour I was on did give us the opportunity to see the whales, however I think I would have preferred a more intimate setting on a Zodiac. We were on a fairly large boat with over 100 people. So you can imagine the franticness of the group as one person spots the whale and then the hoards of people migrate from either the front to the back of the boat, from the left to the right all in hopes of catching a glimpse of the mammals. You could end up spending more time trying to manouver yourself into 'viewing' position, attempting to take photos, and not actually enjoy the beauty of the animals.



I was fortunate in that one sighting happened just in front of me on the boat, meaning I was already in the prime position and didn't have to stampede my way to catch the view.



Speaking to my sister, I found out that she and Craig went whale watching this summer as well. She was the 'photo taker' for the event and said that you can often spend you time trying to get the great photo, only to realize that the tour passes by and you have spent most of your time looking through the camera. I guess this is when you sometimes need to stop and enjoy the moment and appreciate what you are seeing without the photographic evidence. Cause some of the 'photographic evidence' is not that great ~ case in point! Good thing this is digital....

The Sky:


The Sea:

I think I would go watching again ~ but would look for a smaller group and more intimate atmosphere. Perhaps you would get some closer shots than what I got...


After our sightings, we headed off to a lodge for lunch ~ what else, BBQ salmon!




And a glimpse of the Mendenhall Glacier on our way back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home