Carrie's Adventures

Monday, June 30, 2008

The Flight to Athens

So not knowing when we will be finishing Akis' paperwork, this means we don't know when exactly we will be returning to Canada. Although we are aiming for the end of September, you never know what might come up.... As such, not having concrete plans, I decided to get a One-Way ticket ~ Olympic Air flying through Montreal.

Dad graciously agreed to drive me to the airport, however on my eTicket, I didn't have the terminal that I was to be flying out of. I thought at the time that Olympic and AirCanada were partners, so we took a guess at Terminal 1 which houses Air Canada. We were wrong. As we took a turn and headed to Terminal 3 ~ fortunately there are currently only 2 terminals to choose from, so this made the choices that much easier. As we drove through departures however muttered to ourselves ~ Olympic, Olympic, no Olympic, Olympic... I was becoming a bit concerned that we weren't going to have a clue where to go. Fortunately it was the last stop on the departures, although I'm not sure why as their check in booth is in the middle of the terminal. Either way ~ I get my belongings on a trolley as I have this dress to cart with me and head to check in. Before they will check me in, they want to see my ticket... hmmm, it is an eTicket that I hadn't printed out. I was lucky that I had a screenshot of it on my laptop so I was able to show the agent. Next question: where is your return ticket... Hmmm, I'm getting married, hence the big white garment bag, and I will be flying back with my husband in September. So after a number of questions, they finally agreed to check me in, provided I signed papers stating that I would not hold Olympic responsible should I be denied entry into Greece. Hmmm, OK. Being one of the last to check in, I get one of the last seats and I am in the last row ~ read DOES NOT RECLINE ~ and I think this might be a long 10 hrs. I am fortunate however in Montreal after they have loaded everyone into the plane, there are 2 empty seats further up beside the window. So I got them all to myself and in my yoga not so strechy way, I was able to make a make-shift pillow from my bag and lie down for a few hours. Yes, I know, being in Business Class the seats automatically do this, but hey, we are on a wedding budget here....

When I arrive in Athens, I need to pass through Passport Control. This is the moment when they either let me in, or I end up buying another ticket to another country that will accept me... As I approach the desk, no questions were asked, free space was located in my passport and 'Kachunk', you have an entry stamp to the EU. It's good to travel on a Canadian Passport... =)

I collected my bags, headed out to find Akis with a goatee hopping up and down trying to see over the crowd. After finding our way to the car, luggage thrown in, I was officially here.... Now the planning begins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home