Carrie's Adventures

Monday, June 30, 2008

Meeting more of Akis' family

I had 3 days of rest and attempts to catch up on the time change before I met with Akis family. We headed to his house on Saturday to see his parents and have lunch. Keep in mind that we are now on Greek time and lunch means eating around 3pm. We get to the house where I meet his Aunt for the first time ~ she lives next door with her husband and daughter in front of the grandparents.

We caught up quickly with his mom and Akis believes this is one of the first times she has spoken English since I was last here 2 years ago. His dad on the other hand, still does not speak English ~ nor I that much Greek ~ so there were a lot of hand signals and looking to Akis for interpretations. This scene continued at his Grandparents, as I was only able to say 'Eimai kala' which means, I'm OK. There was also a whole lot of nodding going on...

Akis' Aunt came in and she would speak some English and some Greek. She would try in English but when there were words that she didn't know she would change to Greek, then look at Akis and say 'Explain her'... At this rate, Akis could get a job as an interpreter.

I'm sure we will be spending a lot more time there, and I'm going to need to beef up my vocabulary... Here's to spending time doing my Greek lessons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home