Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The first week ~ we made it

As we drove home from the hospital, it was overwhelming to realize that we are now parents and this wee person is the visitor who will be staying with us always!

The first few days were all about just getting through the day. It was very little sleep and although you think you are ready for it ~ when you actually go through it, it is way harder than you think.

Sofia's replacement bassinet had not yet arrived, so we were trying to figure out where we were going to have her sleep. Akis was so worried that we would roll onto her if she slept on the bed, that the first night he spent watch both Sofia and I sleep. Sofia wasn't great at sleeping on her own and was only sleeping while held ~ putting her down was a sure fire way to wake her up. This makes it much more difficult to get sleep and we realized that for either of us to sleep we would need to adopt a tag team strategy.

Having visited a Haemotologist during my pregnancy I was made aware that the first 6 weeks post partum that I would be more prone to blood clots. During the first week, I did have a few visits to the Hospital just to get stuff checked out to be on the safe side. As it all turned out, we were good to go, but packing up a brand new baby and spending time in the ER was not necessarily the most restful way to spend the first week as a mom.

By the time the midwife came to visit on day 3 at home, I think we had 2 or 3 hrs sleep per day. A long cry from what I was used to. As it was, we were doing anything we needed to get by ~ car rides to get Sofia to sleep, frozen dinners, alternating napping. Hugo was still with Steve and Aislynn which was a help, but I really missed him and wanted us all to be together.

We did manage to get the hang of the feeding ~ and that is what I seemed to be doing on an hourly basis.

The first few weeks are a bit of a blur and it is true, you need to nap when the baby naps. It took me that first week to appreciate this advice and follow it. It also became very clear that first week that all priorities have changed. It's not about completing my list of 'to do's, but rather taking care of Sofia.

I write more lists ~ cause I don't remember things as well. I cross fewer things off the list ~ cause things seem to take much longer to do now than they did before. I've realized that I need to commit with caveats ~ cause you just don't know what will happen and if you will actually be able to get done what you are promising. These are the lessons I have learned in Week 1.

We received some lovely flowers ~ this arrangement came from Grandpapa Jim
These were from my work.
These were from the folks Akis works with.
Overall, she has been really great and a keeper. She is pretty cute but we may be biased. :)



Akis has been helping out with the bum changes ~ he is getting good!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home