Carrie's Adventures

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Lisbon, Portugal

After longing to get out in Funchal and another 2 days at sea, the time finally came when we arrived in Lisbon for me to get my feet firmly planted on the ground. The night previous had been a Wine and Cheese night in the Crew bar and while the temptation to consume great amounts of red wine was there, I was quite restrained remembering my previous lesson.

Often when the port is a long way from town, there is a shuttle that will run from the ship to town. This particular shuttle had to accommodate some serious road repair and while town was only 3 or 4 km away, it took a good 35 minutes to get there. However once we were there it was definitely worth it. I had forgotten how much I love European architecture and the whole café culture. There is something about being able to sit outside in the middle of a pedestrian street having your ‘fromage et jambon’ sandwich with a coffee.

We got off the shuttle at Commerce Square:

Commerce Square Posted by Hello


Commerce Square Posted by Hello

From the square you are able to walk down Augusta Street, which allows pedestrians only and find all kinds of shops and cafés. The part I loved about this was the wee side streets. It was one of my favourite things while I was in Melbourne and the quaintness of it all in my mind is unmatched.


Entry to Augusta Street ~ Commerce Square in the background Posted by Hello

I was out with a couple of ladies from the ship who were looking to shop. I myself had sights on seeing the Castle that overlooks the city. We were only going to be in Lisbon once, and I figured I could always shop later. So as I parted from the 2 gals and left them in search of the Body Shop, I wandered through the most amazing streets on my way up to the castle. Not really knowing where I was going, I managed to observe someone asking for directions and the local was pointing up the hill. I figured, I’ll follow him ~ I wouldn’t necessarily call it stalking, but I was watching his every move very closely.


Lisbon Streets on the way to the Castle Posted by Hello


More side streets Posted by Hello


The last view of the cobblestone paths... Posted by Hello

So as you do at just about every castle, I paid my 3 Euros, got the quick fact sheet and proceeded to wander through. There wasn’t much to the building itself, but the grounds were laid out and offered amazing views of the city. Everywhere you looked you would see the clay tiles on the roofs of the buildings. It was a very refreshing view and it made me realize how much history is here in Europe that you don’t see in North America. Much of Lisbon had been destroyed by earthquake a couple hundred years ago, so much of what is here is new. The castle is one of the few buildings that remained standing through the ordeal.


Carrie Posted by Hello


Commerce Square from the castle Posted by Hello


Tagus River from the Castle Posted by Hello

After a great day in Lisbon, we were off to Le Havre France and then on to Dover which began the ‘Baltic’ season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home