Carrie's Adventures

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Christmas on the ship

Just before I finished my last contract, I came to the realization that this year, going home for the holidays was simply not going to be an option. After having them come out to Vancouver last year, I thought I might be pressing my luck to have them come and visit me on the ship, but hey, if you don't ask you never know. So in August, I floated the idea ~ how about you come and spend Christmas with me on the ship... Well, Krista jumped and said, 'if it's warm, I'm coming...' and Dad wanted to know more details. It was finally confirmed just before coming back to the Constellation that yes, they would look at flights and then the email came that they had booked. =)

The arrived on Christmas eve ~ ready to go. They were booked in my cabin, which when Krista saw it figured it was going to be close quarters for the week, however we were fortunate that we were able to find another cabin for them and they had a cabin with a balcony! The cruise itself had limited ports ~ there were only 3 port days the whole week ~ but we managed to get out in all of them to see some of the sights.

Krista, tired from all of the kids being wound up for Santa went to bed early after arriving. Dad and I managed to meet up on the open deck to watch the ship sail away. The following day was Christmas and we were at sea. So Christmas day, they were up searching for deck chairs ~ apparently a difficult task with 2000 guests looking for somewhere to sit. They managed to watch the 'chair' phenomenon and actually disagree with a woman and her son when they 'stole' Krista's chair. Who knew the holiday spirit could be so feisty.

The second day we were in Dominica. We decided to go on an excursion that took us through the rainforest on the back of a jeep and to a wee swimming hole which was completely enclosed by rocks.

The Jeep:

Dad on the Jeep:


The Rainforest




The 'Hot Spring'

I thought that the swimming as it was described was going to be at a warm beach ~ but alas, it was cold, like Lake Huron and I had to do the frantic doggie paddle to get into the water. Once in, it was pretty cool though ~ only downfall, was that I couldn't take my camera in for pictures. One of the highlights of the excursion was the people we met. There was one gal from New York who was very quick on her feet ~ when asked a personal question by another lady travelling with us about the size of her boobs and whether she had ever considered a reduction, she took it all in stride saying that they were in fact 'party tricks' and she liked to bring them out on occassion. I found it all particularly amusing ~ as did Krista who piped up that she will never have that problem...

Aruba was a beach day. We headed out to try and catch some rays in the overcast morning. We found the beach, managed to take out Krista's new from Santa Del Ray frisbee (which turns purple in the sun) and played a bit in the water. I managed to become rather 'red' through out the process, but it was good to go ~ my first time to the beach in Aruba. As the rains came, we headed to the only place under cover and had a wee snack as we watched others come and lounge. There was a hammock at the end of the dock that seemed to call to people as they swung in it, drank their beer and enjoyed the siesta.

Jim enjoying the sand:


The Hut with the hammock and food!


The beach...

Dad then treated us to dinner out that night. We went to an Italian place where the portions were huge and the cats wandered freely in the restaurant. Open air on the harbour, it had a nice ambiance and to be honest, for me, it was just nice to have something other than ship food. Although I did manage to get to the Alternative restaurant, the Dining Room twice and the Speciality restaurant with them while they were here. My diet of salad normally seen in the mess had definitely been supplimented that week!

Curaco ~ the sunny home of the Dutch. It is cute, never been here before, and was amazed at all the colours. It seemed much more affluent of islands,and this was apparent by the money that was spent on the up keep of the buildings.











We managed to walk around town and find a small cafe setting to sit and have a beer ~ Dad insisted that he needed to sit and have a beer in the cafe and watch the people go by... =)





The last day was a sea day and once again the hunt for the chairs was on. Although I must admit that they did a good job as everytime I came past they managed to be sitting in one and not on the deck. It was great to have them on and I realize just how important it is to have family and those that you love around. This year Christmas was not commercial ~ in fact there were no gifts ~ but rather the biggest gift being the company of those who are important. They left San Juan on Saturday and it was hard to see them go, but I know that Dad is eager to see Alaska now, and who knows, I just may see about taking him on Infinity this summer when Akis get to Vancouver!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home