Carrie's Adventures

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkinfest in Port Elgin ~ a late post.

A yearly phenomenon in Port Elgin, this event takes place the weekend before Thanksgiving. I must admit I was a bit surprised to learn that this has been going on for over 20 years. This means at some time I was actually living in Southampton during the festivities, but yet never did go and see the 'big gourd'. Folks here get pretty excited about it and even go all out to decorate.




This year with Akis in tow, we headed over to see what the fuss is all about. In addition to abnormally large vegetables and fruit, they also have an antique car show. Dad does have a 'Flame Orange' Cutlass which is as old as I am. I think in retrospect, I might take offense to the fact that they call her antique... What does that make me??





After viewing a number of cars, most of which were photographed by Akis, we headed to see giant veggies. This year's winner was 1395.5lbs which is a fairly hefty size, not to mention an odd shape. I'm not sure, but I thought pumpkins were suppose to be round! And yes, they have to use a forklift to move these bad boys around.






We have the wall of fame ~ where your size can be recorded for posterity. Can you imagine a 200lb watermelon? That is almost 100kg for those who live solely by the metric system.



And yes, that is a stalk of corn... Have no idea how tall it is, but you can rest assured that they don't generally grow that large around here ~ even if we are close to a nuclear plant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home