Carrie's Adventures

Friday, August 29, 2008

The Cermony...

As the sun was setting in Athens, I stepped into the car outside of Akis' parents with Dad and Krista. Akis’ uncle drove away from the curb honking as we go. Unlike North America weddings where the honking is done after the ceremony, here the parade of cars drives around honking to announce the arrival of the bride. The ceremony was held outdoors, and decorated with flowers and candles ~ everyone gathered waiting for the 3 of us to arrive.





My exit from my chariot...

I walked into the area with both Dad and Krista and seemed fitting to have them both ‘give me away’ as the three of us have been through so much together.



We arrived to find Akis standing there in his suit, holding my bouquet. I was so overwhelmed by the moment, it was hard to take it all in. The flowers that I worried about for hours, I didn’t really even see, the crowd of public observers, I didn’t notice. What, or should I say the person who was important, was standing in front of me, ready to hold my hand.

The ceremony was a civil ceremony, which Akis and I altered to add our own touches. The Greek ceremony does not include vows, but we opted to exchange vows in English. The legal portion was completed in Greek by the mayor and then translated to English by the wedding planner. The major difference was that Akis and I didn’t place the rings on our own fingers, our witnesses ~ Krista and Stratos ~ placed the rings on our fingers.





The rice and flowers were tossed and the greetings began. It was a bit strange for me as a number of the people there I had never met before and I don’t know enough Greek to be able to ask who they are!

We took photos around the park and along with some family group shots. Despite telling the photographers that I preferred candid photos ~ I never look good when I pose for a picture, we seemed to do our fair share of posing!






While we were taking photos, 2 friends showed up, a bit lost, but better late than never. It was great to see them ~ they had just gotten married the week before and were originally not going to be able to make it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home