Carrie's Adventures

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Driving in Athens

There are many things that baffle me here in Greece, however you come to a point where you just need to accept and move on... I have struggled with the driving here in Greece ~ I'm not sure if it is because I am always a passenger, and I'm used to being a driver, or if it is because none of the regular rules of the road seem to apply...

First ~ parking is never a problem. Just put on your hazards, put the car in park and get out. Doesn't matter if you are next to the curb, just pull up to the next closest car and go for it. There are times when this 'creative' parking job prevents other vehicles from passing and while the Greeks curse, this just seems to be an accepted part of vehicular travel here.

Second ~ there are no lanes. Well the roads are wide enough to designate 1, 2 or 3 lanes, however, cars rarely if ever drive in the separate distinct lanes. Rather the cars weave and bob in and out, trying to jostle for the best position amongst all of the cars that are currently heading in their direction. Needless to say, in places of conjestion, this just doesn't lead to anything good happening.

Third ~ if there is no room in the turning lane, or the line is long, drive to the front of the line and wait in the intersection. This one is a bit hard to believe and/or describe. The first couple of times it happened, I was outraged and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Something like this happening in the US or Canada would result in MAJOR road rage. Basically while you are sitting in the turning lane waiting for the light to change, you will see cars pass you, and join the line of cars waiting to turn ~ only they join the line at the front, making their way into the intersection. Now because the lights for the intersection are not actually on the far side of the intersection like they are in North America, but rather are on the near side of the intersection, this means that the cars which are now sitting in the intersection can not now see when the light for the turning lane turns green. So instead, drivers in Athens honk their horn the second the light turns green so you are aware that it is time to go. Yes, all very odd.

I have received my international driving license which means that I can now drive Akis' car, however I am beginning to wonder if I really want to. I'll keep you posted on how things go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home