Carrie's Adventures

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Wedding Crashers

Akis and I decided that we would head up to Attalos on Saturday night as they had a reception there and it would give us an idea of how it is set up, what decorations look like, and the over all feel for the place.

We arrived early to meet up with a Navy friend of Akis' and we proceeded to have yet ANOTHER coffee. (I think I need to purchase shares in Nescafe). We met up with the DJ and discussed the music for the reception. We have a unique challenge in that we need to accommodate both the Greek speakers and the English speakers. I wasn't expecting to have to give songs/genres, but I guess if you think about it, I should have expected that I would need to give some guidance to the music man.

After we got a general feel for the music and promised that we would be in touch with more specifics (requests anyone???) Akis said we were off to go and meet the Manager of the facility. I tried to be discreet peeking my nose into the window to see how the room was laid out, and right away had a feel for what I would change. We met with Thanasis, and were ushered into the hall. Yes, we were joining the reception. As I tried very meekly to not be observed, Akis and I sat at a table in the corner of the room. It seemed to be OK with just the 2 of us, however I think that there might have been some miscalculation on the numbers as the next thing we knew, there were 4 more place settings being put on the table and we had company. We spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out if they were 'inspecting' or if they were in fact part of the wedding party. As it turns out, yes, they were with the wedding...

We stayed for the entrance of the couple, and then the seated dinner. The food tasted great and of course I needed to sample the wine to make sure that it wasn't some sort of hideous concoction that is whipped up in the basement. That said, Akis and I are also pleased with our choice to go with the buffet. I recall Craig mentioning to me when we drove home from the airport that he gets 'ripped off' at weddings. Small amounts of meat and vegetables that he doesn't like... Well, had we gone with the plated option, this might have happened, but with 3 meat selections in the buffet, I am sure he and others will find what they need...

After we gorged ourselves on the food, confirmed with Thanasis that we did in fact enjoy the food and the service, we made our grand exit. In front of our fellow dining companions, we rose ~ Akis got the eye over his attire and we then proceeded to slink out of the building as quickly and quietly as we could before the other 166 guests noticed we were there.



Akis has since told me that this is actually common practice in Greece. His friends had several meals while trying to select their reception location. I personally thought it was a bit awkward, however do have to say that we got a feel for what the evening would have in store for us and the service that they are able to provide. Should be a good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home