Carrie's Adventures

Friday, November 07, 2008

The trials and tribulations of looking for work

Akis and I have been in Vancouver for just over a month now. And while some folks ~ including Akis ~ would say that we have done a lot over the past few weeks, it also feels sometimes like things move very slowly. As you watch the money go out of the bank account, it seems like some things move in slow motion! And I want it all to be sorted out TODAY...

I have never been a great big fan of job hunting. I have a hard time getting myself out there and saying 'Hey big company, I think you should hire me because I am fantastic.' And while I know I do good work, it is the spreading of the peacock feathers that I don't do as well, or perhaps that I don't feel comfortable with. I have never really been one to walk around saying 'look at me, I'm the best', which is maybe why this process is challenging for me. I suppose that is also why sometimes I am content to stay in a job even if it isn't exactly what I want to be doing...

So the job hunting experience is one that requires a bit of patience. And I am not always the most patient person. However sitting on this side of the fence, I do have a better perspective and perhaps this is karma for all the times someone's resume sat on my desk at Class for days while I tried to find time to get to it. Sometimes what goes around, comes around.

They say it is a numbers game ~ you need to get your resume out, people need to see it, and then perhaps someone will give you a call back. I've had moderate response at this point. I've met with 2 different recruiting companies, interviewed with 2 different companies ~ waiting on a decision from one and having the first telephone interview with the other... The position the recruiter put me forward for, didn't happen, so in the meantime, I continue to submit resumes.

I know that this time of uncertainty will pass, I will again be gainfully employed, and then I will wonder why it was that I stressed out about looking for work. Somehow you just don't have that same perspective while you are going through the process as you do after you know the outcome. Everyone says that you need to be patient and even if it means sitting for a bit longer, being a bit more broke, you need to wait for the right job. While I can appreciate this sentiment, I do hope that the right job is coming shortly. I try not to be too cranky with Akis as I go through this process ~ god love him he does what he can to support me including doing the dishes and laundry. He is a good hubby. I just can't wait until I can take him out to celebrate having a new job!

Anyway, here's to finding gainful employment, and hoping it doesn't take too long to show up on our doorstep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home