Carrie's Adventures

Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's been a good week

Despite being a bit unsettled since landing in Vancouver on the 8th, things have been moving in a forward direction for Akis and I. Upon reflection, I realize that it was perhaps a very fortunate thing that there was a unit in my old building to rent. Given our current status of being unemployed, and a low vacancy rate for apartments, it could have been difficult for Akis and I to show a potential landlord that yes, we are going to be good tennants and yes you should rent to us! As it is, with a move in date set for next Saturday, I have made arrangements for all of our things to come out of storage and be delivered.

Akis is quite excited about finally moving into our own place. We have some very generous friends in both Al & Brent and Aislynn & Steve, both of whom have opened their homes to us and allowed us to stay with them while we wait to get settled. Funny part for me during all of this is that I know what is currently in storage and that I basically took everything from a 1 bedroom apartment and put it into boxes. Akis on the other hand is not aware of what will be waiting to be unpacked next week. Each time we are in a store, he is wanting to know if we need to have this, do we need to have that. He is so anxious to make this our home, that the wait is just about more than he can bear.

So the week has been filled with positive news... Our final task in our 4 month transition to Canada was for me to find a job. There has been some progress on this front. I have met with a recruiting company here in Vancouver on Tuesday who sources out a lot of contract IT work. I have also been hitting the job boards and sending out my resume ~ I was pleased to get a response on Wednesday from a small software company in Vancouver and scheduled an interview with them on Friday morning. Thursday morning I received an update that my sponsorship papers have been reviewed and a decision has been made. While we won't know what the decision is until the letter arrives at Dad's house, likely some time next week, we are thrilled that a) the package is actually there, b) the application is complete ~ otherwise they would have returned it to us saying that stuff was missing, c) Akis' portion of the application may in fact be in Rome now, or at least on it's merry way. Now we have only 3 to 9 months to wait... :)

The interview was on Friday morning and I am quite happy with how things went. They said that the interview would take about an hour, so the fact that I was there for 1.5 hrs means either I talk too much ~ which is entirely possible ~ or they were interested in what I had to say. Either way, I will be waiting to hear back from them next week on things where if all goes well, I should be moving on to the 2nd of 3 possible interviews for the position.

To finish off the week, at the end of the day Friday, I did get a phone call from another recruiting company and they sent over a job posting that might be of interest to me ~ some Business Analyst work which is something I'm thinking of getting into ~ so we'll have to see where this all goes.

In the meantime, Akis and I are counting and we are almost down to one hand. One hand until we are able to move into our place. I must say this has definitely has been an adventure over the past few months. And despite the unsettledness of it all, it is exciting to know we are on the verge of starting something knew.

So wish me luck everyone... perhaps in the next update I may be able to tell you 'I HAVE A JOB!!!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home