Carrie's Adventures

Monday, January 05, 2009

Christmas in Vancouver

With the lead up to Christmas, there were many things about this Christmas that were different. This was the first Christmas that Akis and I spent together and for Akis, it was his first Christmas with snow. For Akis it was beautiful as it represented all of the thing he has always seen on TV with the snowy white Christmases but had never experienced himself.

In the days before the holiday we had decided with the extra days off that my company gives their employees, we were going to spend some time in ON with my family. We opted to fly on the 25th as flights were cheaper, and this also meant that we could have Christmas morning at home, just Akis and I until we had to run off to the airport.

Vancouver, which is not known for having a lot of snow was blanketed and the 24th had big flakes falling. I did have to go to the office, but we called it a day at noon. When I arrived in the office, it was myself and one other co-worker. With the additional snow, a number of people had opted to not come in. This included the person who was taking the fresh turkey from my lone companion in the office. Geoff didn't have room for the turkey, nor the desire to cook one. As such, he was trying to get rid of this fresh bird ~ he even tried to take it to the food bank, but they wouldn't take it. Heading back home, Akis and I had no need for a 14lb bird, but his other option was to throw it out. Seeing that as such a waste, I left the office with 2 cloth bags disguising my 14 pound treasure. Needless to say, when I met Akis at Canadian Tire, he shook his head with the schlumping of this thing 2.5km back to our house. We wandered the isles, purchased the gifts we said we weren't going to buy this year, and then sat at Starbucks and admired the beauty and bustle that is the day before Christmas.

We were invited to spend the evening with Steve and Aislynn, also we were going to see Barry and Darci, but the weather and inability to travel through the snow filled streets had us staying at home and spending a quiet night alone ~ with our new cappuccino machine.

Akis was like a little kid, and at 1am, he asked if we could open presents. I said we could open one, but that the rest would need to wait until morning.


With a few gifts left in the morning and stocking stuffers that didn't quite make it into a stocking (realized we didn't have one for Santa), we drank coffee from our new toy and spent the morning getting ready to head back to see the family.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home