Carrie's Adventures

Saturday, December 06, 2008

They say 'Patience' is a virtue

And while the past month has been a really long waiting game, we seem to have made it out the other side. I have found that I am not always patient and sometimes want things to be done 'now' ~ but you sometimes need to embrace where you are, what is around you and have faith that things will work out. I have been lucky in that no matter what I have gone after, I have managed to land on my feet. I don't know if that is because you look at options and if Option A doesn't work out, you accept it and move on to Option B ~ either way, it seems that Akis and I have managed to transition back to land and while there is still some waiting going on, we have for the most part at least gotten ourselves settled.

Overall, it was a longer path than I thought it would be, but I'm pleased to say that I am once again gainfully employed. The overall interview process took just over 5 weeks with my new company, and this was something that I thought would have happened much faster. I do feel fortunate as I look around now with the current economic state and realize that things could have been much worse and the wait to find employment could have quite easily taken longer.

I have accepted a position with a company called StemSoft. The company writes, supports and delivers software for Cancer treatment facilities and labs. Similar to what I did previously, my new position requires that I go in, install software, assist the customer in configuring and learning the software. Most of the work is remote and is driven very strongly in Project Management ~ so from this perspective it is a good fit. Looking ahead one of the things that I am looking to do is to get my PMP (Project Management) certification so all of the project driven processes will help enormously with getting this certification. To obtain the certification, you need to have an enormous amount of project hours under your belt along with schooling.

After the first week of work, I am feeling pretty good about the choice. The office is 20 blocks away ~ which I thought was 2km, but after walking both ways each day, I think is definitely longer than 2km. Either way, I am able to walk to the office, avoiding the traffic during the morning commute. The group themselves is a small group of about 12 people however they are looking to grow the business in a new direction. Overall I feel good about the fit and realize that it is going to be getting to know the customer base and their business that will be the top priority.

As an extra bonus, the office is closed during the holiday season. That said, Akis and I are now looking to see if we can get reasonable tickets back to ON for a week. Hopefully we will be able to head home to see the family and the snow for Akis' first Canadian Christmas.

We are hoping to get into the festive mood here. Christmas tree trimming may be done today if the rain stops long enough for us to go out and pick it up... The baking has already been started and hope to have people over before we head home for the holidays.

Here's to settling in and getting back to having a 'regular' life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home