Carrie's Adventures

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gosh it's been a long time!

Where does the time go? I was looking back and realized, hey it's been over a month since I have written ~ and while it's not that we haven't been doing anything, I sometimes struggle when people ask you the question 'What's new?'. I'm not sure there is much, but I'm also not sure that is a bad thing.

Since landing Akis has been getting himself into the 'search for work' mode. It is incredibly unfortunate that his experience with looking for jobs here coincided with a rough economic patch. The effort that is expended to send out one job application is significantly greater here in Canada ~ you need to fix your resume, you need to write a cover letter, you need to email off your applicaiton and then you wait. Alternatively you apply on the company's website and fill out all kinds of web forms, repeating everything you had put in your resume. Akis has received some calls from recruiters and is still playing the numbers game. Eventually if you put out enough resumes, someone is going to call you for an interview.

I have managed to get my letter saying that I have passed probation. So there is a certain comfort in knowing that I won't be subject to 'you didn't meet our expecations', and will continue to have a paycheque. Life has been a bit tight on one salary, however it is doable. We don't go out for dinner that often, going to the movies are treats that we may have otherwise taken for granted. It makes you appreciate what you have.

Akis does spend a lot of time doing 3D graphic arts. He was even approached by someone from Heritage Canada looking to see if he would be interested in doing some freelance work. I have always said that if this is something he loves to do, he should get some classes and look at making this his career. We went to BCIT 2 weeks ago to look at the courses which are on offer. They have a 3D modeling course which is a year. Akis is on the fence in terms of wanting to provide financially and yet being interested in learning more. The next session starts in September so we may have a student in the house.

I also would like to be going back to school. I have been looking into PMP (Project Management) courses and there is a certificate course which is being offered by UVic here in Vancouver. There is some workday commitments so my first attempt at looking at this course was not overly successful. I had approached my boss and mentioned the course ~ he took it to the owner of the company and they balked at the fact that I would be out of the office for 2 or 3 days a month. The course runs for 5 months, and would like to see myself enrolling this fall. The price tag is a bit steep, so if the company is willing to compensate for some of the course, that would be fantastic. En route to the designation, I need to take a specified number of course hours, then I need to provide around 4500 hours of project work. This is just to be considered as a candidate ~ from there you need to then sit an exam to get your designation, but the work is worth it once I can get those additional letters behind my name.

On the horizon, I hope to continue my greek lessons. I have just finished Level 2, and should be looking to take Level 3 with another student from my class. I have started to pick up on the grammar, so I understand and say more now. Aunt Tula called the other day from Greece and I actually understood what she was asking! Go figure. Akis and I will also be back in ON in August to host a gathering for family and friends, so we are working on planning the details ~ way less work than planning a wedding. Thank god for that!

Other than that, Akis and I are moving through the weeks ~ happy to see Friday, sad to see Sunday night. It looks as though we have settled into being regular working folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home