Carrie's Adventures

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Greek Classes

In efforts to try and keep my promise to Akis, I started round 2 of my Greek Lessons. Believe it or not, there aren't many people out there wanting to learn the language so trying to find someone/somewhere to take a class has proven to be a bit challenging.

I started in January up at the University and for 9 weeks, every Saturday morning made my way at 10am to my class. The class was filled people wishing to learn for various reasons and all told there were 9 or 10 of us between Level 1 and Level 2. A handful of us (3 total) are wives of Greek men, another couple (Tony and Shelia) were there as they are hoping to one day move back to Paros. Tony who has previously lived there for 11 years does not, amazingly enough, speak any Greek. One woman Laura had decided that she wanted to learn a seond language and of all of the possible ones to select, she picked Greek! Go figure.

I was able to 'skip' Level 1 based on all the great words my husband has taught me, but I do seem to struggle with the basic conjugation of verbs. It has been so long since I studied French, I have forgotten just how much of this is pure memorization. Somehow I keep hoping that it will all sink in.

3 of us, Laura, Ioana and myself have continued on with our studies every Thursday Night. We head over to our instructor's house and gather around the kitchen table. Akis seems to think I am making progress, which should be enough for me. And the fact that when Aunt Tula calls, I can now understand some basic questions and give her some answers should go to show I am getting the hang of it. I do become a bit frustrated that I'm not picking it up as fast as Ioana, but then again, I guess that means I should be doing some of my homework.

I have another 5 classes to go in this level and we'll have to see if we are able to make it any further. Our instructor has had other students that within a year are reading some simple novels and discussing ideas. Could you imagine? OPA, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home