Carrie's Adventures

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Registry Gong Show

Have you ever had one of those tasks that no matter how hard you try to get it done, things just don't go your way... this is me and the Gift Registry. When Akis and I started planning our summer party, Dad asked that we register for our party so in case anyone asked, he didn't have to continually repeat the list. So in interest of making things easier for him, we did.

We opted to have a couple of registries and we did get some gifts off the registry. My friend Brandye, who now lives with her family in California was the first to jump on that bandwagon. She had mentioned it in passing back in the summer, however I never received a phone call so I figured, hey they are waiting until the 'big day'.

I also received gifts from the Noes and McMeekins ~ had a lovely gift card with the gift receipt and promptly returned to Vancouver. The days got busy, the list of 'to do' items was MIA, and finally I got a note from Brandye ~ had I gotten my gift from her? Feeling badly that it had been about a month since we had returned to Vancouver, I tasked myself with heading to Metrotown and picking up the gifts.

I arrive at the Bay, present myself and ask if there is anything there for me. The woman at the counter then promptly told me 'it can take up to 4 months you know for things to arrive. Did you get a phone call?' To which I told her I had no phone call, however I had the gift card and was a bit surprised that it would take 4 months to get some glasses... Anyway, she looked up my name, reviewed the page, and then said 'ah yes, we tried to call you but the phone didn't work. We emailed you to come and pick these up.' Turns out they wrote down one digit in the phone number incorrectly, and the email I gave them is my spam account, so it would seem I didn't read that very carefully. Guess it was a good thing I didn't wait for that phone call...

The woman brings the bundled package to the counter, asks me to sign here, here and here, date here and here and there you go. As I am signing, I do notice Brandye's name ~ great, her gift is in here, and there's Sue's name ~ fantastic. Everything gets put in a bag and carted back to the home.

It is only the next morning when I have unpacked the boxes on the kitchen table that I scratch my head and wonder, is this right? I have 3 boxes of glasses, however I think these are all from Sue and Nina. As I go through the gift receipt trying to decipher the codes, I am still confused. I go back to the gift notice the girls had put in their card and yes, it would seem that the glasses are the ones from Sue and Nina. Where is the gift from Brandye? How did this get so complicated, so confusing and hey wait a minute, I've already signed the registry saying I've picked up her gift!

So on the phone, it is too early on a Sunday morning. I leave a lengthy message explaining what I think has gone on and ask them to call me back. I sit to enjoy my morning tea and Akis asks if I can do something with the stuff on the table. Sure ~ as I begin to unpack the glasses and put them away, I open the first box and low and behold, one of the glasses is missing. As I uttered things out loud and probably the most polite of them being 'you've got to be kidding me' ~ I pick up the phone to call the Bay yet again to add another chapter to my story.

The woman who answers the phone is very nice, listens to my woes and then puts me on hold while she goes to look for paperwork. After a few minutes she returns to the phone only to tell me she can't find the paperwork ~ ummm, I just signed some yesterday... She apologizes for the confusion and tells me that she will call me back. A few hours later I hear from her, and they are able to replace the missing glass that I picked up the previous day, however she would need to look into Brandye's gift and track it down.

All in all, I did return to the store a few days later to gather the replacement glass along with the missing gifts, but I gotta tell you ~ it was the most bizarre experience, and the moral of the story, follow up on your registry purchases!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home