Carrie's Adventures

Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Highs and Lows of July

July has come and gone and the month has had both Highs and Lows for our family.

The month has started off with the news that we were pregnant. Keeping things hush hush, we bought the sticks, pee’d on one and promptly had Akis tell me I had to pee on another cause the first one must be broken. With all the physical changes going on, I knew it wasn’t broken, and that double line meant yep, a new Koutrakos was in the making.

Like a number of Canadians, Akis and I haven’t gotten around to finding a family doctor, so a few weeks after the initial ‘stick confirmation’ I headed to the clinic to get my condition medically confirmed. After a brief discussion with the doctor there who confirmed that we were in fact pregnant, I was sent on my way and told that spotting I was experiencing was normal, but to keep an eye on it in case it gets worse. Unfortunately over the course of the evening it did get worse ~ so off Akis and I went to the Emergency Room at VGH. Arriving at 11:30pm that evening, we were finally released at 3:30am after some poking, prodding and the orders to go and get an Ultrasound the next day.

The next day was not only about me but also about Hugo who was unfortunately also sick multiple times. Not something you expect from the puppy. Worried about him, we scheuled his first of what would be 2 appointments that week to visit the vet.

I had my ultrasound that afternoon and the tech was able to find the baby and a heartbeat. She indicated that it was probably about a week younger than what the dates would indicate, but it was there and the heartbeat was as she expected. I received a report and was told to take it back to Emerg for the analysis. With Akis working evenings, Hugo was the next in line and we headed to the Vet.

With a $100 bill and 2 shots given to Hugo, we were given instructions that we were to watch how he progressed.

We then headed out to the hospital where we received relatively positive news from the doctor and were told to take things easy and monitor how things progressed. No sooner did we leave and get home, but conditions took a turn for the worse and we headed back to the hospital. I must commend the folks at VGH, as I had a speedy trip through the waiting room and within 10 minutes I was back in the treatment room and being evaluated. Unfortunately after all of the testing, the news was not positive and I did have a miscarriage. Akis and I have tried to keep positive through this experience and take away a few positive points such as a) we were able to get pregnant, b) we didn’t have to try a long time.

It was a tough few weeks dealing with the all of the physical aspects of losing the baby and then there is the emotional side. With much reading of forums, websites, talking to others who have been through similar experiences, and appointments to make sure that my body is on the mend, I think I am getting back to normal. I have been quite exhausted but hopefully this too will pass.

Here's hoping next time we have go through the experience we are able to make it all the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home