Carrie's Adventures

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mazatlan, Mexico

So a couple weeks ago, I managed to take a few hours off in the afternoon ~ before all this code Red stuff happened...

Being a bit of a beach gal, I decided to take a cab down to what is known as the 'Golden Zone' and stroll along the beach. It never ceases to amaze me the 'hotel strips' in these resort locations ~ the massive building perched on the edge of the beach ~ and us to clamour to them for some sort of reprieve from our everyday cold weather and existance. It is as though I have forgotten what it is like to be the guy working the regular '9 to 5' job and what a treat it is to be where I am everyday.

To get to the beach, I did have to take a cab ~ very cool open air cab which let me enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. As I went along, I did notice that there were these very colourful statues and at the time thought, I'll be back and can take photos later. What I didn't realize was that these were there only for Mardi Gras. We had stumbled upon one of the biggest parties of the year ~ 8 days of tequilla and any other intoxicating liquid that might meet your fancy. Apparenlty not much gets done during this week.

I was also given the opportunity to see some Cliff Divers. While not the same height as those in Acapulco, I was told that there is only a small number of divers that will dive from this cliff. Apparently the skill required is one of timing and accuracy. There is a small area which when the wave comes in swells to provide a deep enough hole for the diver to safely land. The cabbie stopped so I could watch this feat, however you do know that before he was to perform the dive, he and his co-divers managed to pass the hat around accepting any donations you may want to pass their way. Anyway, here he is...

On the Rocks...

Just about ready to go!
The plunge....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home