Carrie's Adventures

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bangkok, Thailand

Early Monday morning, Beth and I pack our things and head down to settle the bill at the hotel. We have opted for the slightly more expensive hotel transport, but this additional $15 means that we won't be heckled into going to their buddies place to check out some art.

The drive was about 40 minutes to the airport and it was very different to see it in the morning ~ everyone commuting to work and school on scooters. This is the primary mode of transportation as there is no public transit.

Arriving at the airport, things are pretty relaxed. We flew on NocAir which had very affordable flights up to Bangkok ~ $40 US. Arriving in Bangkok, the temperature is definitely warmer as we gather our bags and make our way to the cab. It was interesting to note that the cabbies don't run the cars in the airport but rather push to avoid creating additional exhaust.

The ride to the hotel was a bit strange in that we were pulled over by the police. At first I thought the cabbie had been speeding, but then I noticed that everyone was being pulled over. What is going on? Oh, the king ~ apparently the shut all roads down including the freeway when royalty travels. That must be the life.

We arrived at the hotel, got checked in, gathered our requested items from the concierge like out plane tickets and made tracks to check things out. Beth seemed a bit at odds, as the city wasn't quite itself ~ too quiet. We headed out for lunch opting for a wee Thai place over the Tony Roma's that was on the street. All beverages come in these small glass bottles. It felt like something that we would have gotten at home a number of years ago but not now ~ not nearly super-sized enough for us in North America!



After leaving the restaurant, we headed to yet another spa to indulge in a foot massage and Thai massage. I tell you, this sure can become addictive! After feeling like we couldn't move from the pampering we started to walk back to the hotel ~ again wondering where everyone was. As it turned out, the King was going to be passing and the roads as a result have been blocked to traffic ~ there was no one out there... except the police guys who need to keep the road closed. The blurry car is one member of the royal family. I think the first one held the King, but we were too busy looking trying to figure out what was going on to really know.




This king is a truly loved individual and I had thought that all of the posters and references to him were for this particular event (60th year of reign) but in fact Beth had told me that the people adore him and any time there are signs/posters and shrines to the King that can be found around the city.



That night Beth and I made our way to the night market ~ yes another market. But this one had an additional venue of a stage and beer garden. While we didn't partake, I can see how folks could come here and be quite entertained. There is a number of food vendors around the garden and you can purchase the beer by the 3L and they pour the draft into your own mini cooled beer tap. Rather cool.




The other marvel of Bangkok and maybe Thailand is the tuk-tuk. A form of transportation, this open air, slightly larger than a scooter is what some may consider a death trap, or others may consider and extreme sport. I suppose it all depends on who is driving. Generally a bit cheaper than a cab, you need to have the art of negotiation as these are not metered and you heckle for the price. That said, Beth and I took one home from the market as no trip could be complete without a ride in a tuk-tuk. As you can see below, some of them work pretty hard looking for their customers!



The next morning it was time to say good-bye to Beth. Hard to believe it went by so fast. It was really good to see her and Marc and know that they are settling into their life in Hong Kong well. I did have the morning and afternoon to myself so I managed to muster up the assurance that if I went to Khao San Road by myself and find some purchases that I would be able to find my way back to my belongings in the hotel. It is a pretty neat area where I had my final Thai lunch which was more like Chinese sweet and sour chicken, but hey, I am not complaining, I had it good!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home