Carrie's Adventures

Monday, June 19, 2006

The final 2 days in Hong Kong

Beth has been putting in some hours as an English Assistant. This means that she needs to travel to various parts of the city to be able to help out with these lessons. Generally this endeavour takes her at least an hour to be able to get to the school if not longer. There were two jobs she did while I was here ~ the final 2 days in Hong Kong.

The first day was up at the peak. Taking the MTR into Hong Kong we then proceeded to take a bus to what is probably the highest point in city. Beth went to school, I went to check out the sites. True to form, the day was overcast and the Peak was fogged in. But what you should be able to see is a spectacular view of the city and the surrounding area. I was glad that there was some break in the cloud cover to allow me the following view as I have purchased a 3D painting of this scene. Recognizing the sky line will make it that much more enjoyable once I get it back from Beth. That's right, the painting has not made the circuitous journey around the globe and Beth has warned me that I may just see a photo of some dinner party with the painting hanging on her wall...




Once coming down the mountain, Beth and I met wandered past the Night Market and waited for Cameron and Marc. With my aversion to seafood, we opted to have a few snacks at a local Thai restaurant which was attached to the Driving Range... Yes there is a Driving range in the middle of the city! It was somewhat disappointing to not be able to have a beer as the restaurant lost it's liquor licence... Just how does that happen anyway?!? So I settled for Green Apple soda which was pretty good.

The market itself was pretty much like the others ~ only at night. 'Copy Watch', 'Copy Bag' could be heard over the din of the crown. What I wasn't expecting was the freshness of the seafood that was served at the local eatery. It was still moving ~ hell everything in the bucket was still moving! Needless to say, I was fascinated, but not partaking!







The second day, I played hookie from school and hung out with Marc and Cameron. We were on a quest for computer gadgets. Taking me to the 'electronics' market, I was amazed to see just about every computer part known to mankind on sale. The whole notion of build your own is very appropriate as you are able to purchase anything from a new motherboard, to memory, to a liquid cooling system. Then you have the ipods, cell phone gadgets and the like. I couldn't help but smile when Marc asked if Akis would enjoy the market ~ I think I would have lost him for the day and spent significantly more money!

My end of day treat was going to White Spot. Yes you heard right. A BC classic has made it's way to Hong Kong ~ and even has a burger named after it's original location.. Seriously how can you go wrong with that? What is odd, or maybe not so odd is the popularity this has with some Ex-Pats. The English teacher that Beth works with visits White Spot on what I suspect is a daily basis. They actually call him by name, not by number. Now that is customer loyalty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home