Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hong Kong here I come...

So the night before I was to leave for Hong Kong, I had this dream that I arrived at the airport in Hong Kong, only to be told by the customs agent, 'you no ticket, you no stay'... You see I haven't purchased my ongoingticket as Beth and I aren't sure which day we are going to be leaving Hong Kong and heading for Phuket. Reminds me a bit of the Australian underwear dream where I am standing at the check-in counter with fists full of underwear saying to the woman, but these have to get on the plane and wondering why she won't let me bring my underwear... Anyway, as I contemplate what will happen if they don't let me in, I email Beth thinking, at least she will know if I don't show up at the appointed hour, what happened!

I left Toronto at 10pm or what was suppose to be a 10:30 departure. Delays held us up and it was at least 11:30 before the plane taxied out onto the runway. Well that now makes the connection time about 25 minutes... Here's hoping they hold the plane. I arrive in Vancouver 1:25 am. The flight leaves at 1:55. I have never seen such a caravan of those motorized carts shipping people from one gate to the next. All I could say was at least I wasn't the only one needing to make this connection.

I flew with EvaAir in a step up from Economy ~ while not Business Class, it did have the bigger seats and for the 12hr flight, I am definitely grateful for that! The meals weren't bad, but Beth did warn me that snacks would be of the noodle variety so I may want to pack my own. In the end it wasn't the noodles that did me in but rather the meal selection from Taipei to Hong Kong. The menu consisted of what looked like watery rice with pork and mushroom goo spooned into the middle ~ apparently a very common breakfast dish. There was a package of what looked like shredded sponge toffee but really turned out to be dried shredded pork. The salad was a half a hard boiled egg which was brown on the edges but thank god, there was orange juice. This was the only thing I ventured to have from the plate and then a cup of coffee. If this is what my dining choices are, I may end up shedding a few of the 'buffet' pounds I gained on the ship.


I was plesantly surprised to find that there was adequate signage in English that allowed me to find my way around the airport and actually feel like I knew where to go.


There were even instructions on how to use the payphone ~ which I tried and just didn't seem to be that technically gifted that day...









That said, arriving in Hong Kong, it was pretty much the same. I managed to make it through Customs unscathed, to find the free cart to pick up my bags. Beth and Marcus were waiting outside to greet me.



Although my introduction to the city has been a bit abnormal as we experienced torrential rains, and Marc said it was a good thing we landed when we did as 20 minutes later, we would have been turned around due to the weather. I am looking foward to seeing the city ~ for now, it is a wet puddle of rain and fog, but I'm sure there is Asian Neon out there somewhere....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home