Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Vacation ~ Week Two ~ The Family

Well first off, I would like to say that the lack of photos here in this post was due to my inability to pack things well. I know, as shocking as that sounds, I didn't manage to pack my one hand bag well enough so that, hey it actually closed, and as a result, the camera tumbled out into the new trunk... I must say that I am very grateful for Al sending it out to me ~ I felt rather dumb getting to Dad's house and realizing that I am heading out on this great trip and don't have anything to record it with!!

The trip home began with the Red Eye on Monday night. So after a full day ~ visit with Akis, dinner with Al and Brent, I hustled my way to YVR airport and prayed that they wouldn't weigh the luggage. There is no way it is under 40 pounds a piece. I usually pull my luggage as it has wheels but Al insisted on putting it on the cart and I think that was my saving grace. After getting my boarding pass from the ATM like check in, and the lighter bag on the top, the agent only half checked how heavy it was and didn't bother with the second bag ~ that was the key. Now I only needed to haul this heavy bag onto the belt and look like I wasn't struggling. Lighter bag went on, wheels down, not up. After being corrected, I put on the biggest smile, hoisted the 60lb bag onto the belt and disappeared... Figured if they can find me, they can charge me for the extra 20lbs.

Arrived to my seat and was shocked to see how many other travellers thought the red-eye would be a good idea. Was seated next to a talker and realized all I wanted to do was sleep. Dad was going to pick me up at 7am and we were then off to visit ~ I needed some beauty sleep.

Toronto was pretty darn cool when I got there. Waited for Dad for about 10 minutes and 2 minutes into it, busted open the suitcase and put on the fleece. What is this ~ it is May and it feels like it could snow at any minute. We headed off to see family ~ Aunt Carol and Uncle Pete, Aunt Sharon and Uncle Don ~ catching up on family gossip and then headed home. The time at home went by very quickly, but I also realize just how much you enjoy the comforts of home, like my bed. I tell you, it may be 30 years old, but I love that bed. Generally when I get into a new bed I am stiff as it takes a day or two to get used to it. Not this one, I fall into it and it is like putting on an old pair of jeans ~ love it.

After the quick 3 days at home, Dad and I headed to Peterborough to see Krista and Craig. We were then enticed into assisting with some of the 'to do' list, which included looking at the flower beds, scoping out a new shed, buying a new toilet and tearing down the interior of their sun room. Again, the 4 days went very quickly as they have a way of doing, but it was great to see everyone.

My final meal in ON was dinner with Aunt Flo and Uncle John. They too were in need of plumbing assistance and for the second time that week, I was present while the new throne was installed. Dad and I managed to get away in what we thought was sufficient time, but he had me to the airport just after 9pm.

Many thanks to Dad for his chauffeuring over the week! The 7am arrival and 10:30pm departure must me he really loves me to pick me up at those times!! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home