Carrie's Adventures

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Where is the Big Buddha?

As you do when you are in Asia, Beth and I set out to look for the Buddha. Now I was unaware that you can have different names for the Buddha, like the Big Buddha, the Reclining Buddha ~ I guess it all just depends on the pose he has decided to strike at the time.

This particular Buddha is the Big Buddha. Perched on the top of a hill he should be pretty easy to find, one would think. Well, Beth and I weren't quite so lucky. Starting from the bottom, you could see the stairs ~ things only got worse from there.





As we got closer to the top, you could vaguely see the outline of his hand... I never did see his face ~ apparently he is smiling!



Another thing that they do to pay their respects is to light incense. People can purchase it by the handful and then place it in the pots. I must say after walking past, I'm not sure you would want to hang out and inhale many of the fumes!



The final treat was with your admission to see the Buddha, you could purchase a 'snack'. We opted for the mini snack that gave us 4 pieces of 'something of our choice' and then noodles and a drink. Being a monastary, there was no meat so Beth decided to pick some 'new' delights. I was uncertain of the lotus flower paste, but as Beth said to me as I turned up my nose to trying it ~ it's only plants for god's sake. Nothing in here can kill you! Guess she told me... =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home