Carrie's Adventures

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Akis turn to cruise

So it was a great treat to have Akis come to visit. He was here for 2 weeks and we got the chance to head out in ports we used to hang out in when we had first met.

Akis arrived in Copenhagen insisting on taking a direct flight from Athens. While the airport wasn't extremely far from the ship, the rate for the taxi was unbelievable, and 60 Euros one way! So the decision to pick him up at the airport did prove to be a bit expensive.

The next day was his birthday and I do have to admit, I did a terrible job at planning anything for him. In getting ready for my audit on board I didn't have much to offer other than taking him out for coffee and an ice cream. Here's hoping that spending the day with me was enough of a gift for him... We were in Oslo and the day was great.








After hitting Dover and Aks being able to sleep through the 5am wake up for embark, we turned the ship around and headed for Helsinki. We picked up Ioannis, the corporate auditor who also was onboard. Good in a way, as I could send Akis off to have coffee with Ioannis and carry on with work knowing both were well occupied.

One requirement of coming was that Akis be allowed to go out in Russia. With strict requirements on Visas, we did have to request special permission for them to go out. Unfortunately the message was not passed on and as we prepared to go out for the night to the club, we were stopped by immigration and the Russians decided he wasn't going to go. Akis spent a good 25 minutes trying to convince them that he could go out, and it wasn't until I decided to stay in with him, that she decided to process his papers and let him go. I am grateful to those in the shuttle we held up ~ I think Akis was too when he got to the club and saw the ladies! Things hadn't changed much, but I do think the boys were disappointed that there wasn't much of a 'show', but there were enough women around to keep their eyes 'occupied'.

After leaving Russia we went to Tallin ~ one of my favourite spots and had lunch in the square. It was more expensive than I remember and the food not as good. After speaking with others, I realize, I should have stuck to the tried and true... You can't go wrong with the Beer House!



We spent some time walking around Stockholm. This was our 'regular' coffee stop last year. We managed to take in lunch at a cafe before the rain started coming down. But again, I love walking through Old Town. Something very cool about the cobblestone streets.



Our final day was spent in Germany in the town of Warnemunde with Ioannis, walking the streets, taking photos, having lunch and coffee. Of course we were not able to resist the German Beer nor the sausage from the Choo Choo. (A ship institution where people will dash from the ship to get one of these sausages!!)






We had a really great visit and I realize just how hard it is being apart. I was very sad to see him go ~ and it took me about 5 days to get back 'into the groove' where I was OK coming back into the cabin and not finding him here.

Se agapo moro mou ~ Mou leipeis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home