Carrie's Adventures

Monday, January 15, 2007

New things for the New Year

Some really great things, and a few 'ugh' must do things look to be on the horizon for this year.

My first 'ugh' is the extension of my contract. Today marks the official end of this contract and I tell you I feel like I am ready to go. However due to other circumstances, I will be staying for a few more weeks. The hard part now is watching those who arrived after me leave for vacation. Official 'Carrie gets off the ship date' is now Feb 22nd. Just in time to catch some good snow in Vancouver and catch up with those teachers who have some time off in March.

The second 'ugh' comes from the realization that Akis and I only spent 42 days together last year... Not so great ~ so this makes the good news that much better.

My final 'ugh' comes with knowing that I will be having another audit in 4 days. While there most things are all lined up and ready to go, there's something about knowing you are under the scrutiny of others that puts you on edge. Well, the contract started with an audit 3 weeks after arriving, why not end with one 3 weeks before leaving?

The great things mainly revolve around Akis and I. First piece of good news is that I will be going back to Infinity for my next contract ~ with Akis. So after about 18 months of being apart, we are going to finally get contracts on the same ship!

Second piece of exciting news is that Akis and I have decided to go jewellery shopping. Yes, that is right, after I opened my mouth and said that I want some input into what the ring looks like, the purchase of 'the ring' is now in progress. I will be going to visit Akis on Infinity as it travels around South America. So I don't know if I will get it then, or when I come back in May, I guess some things need to be a surprise.

The third 'announcement' is that Akis and I are looking to locate in Canada. After much discussion about life in Greece, salaries and where we are looking to take our lives, we have decided to settle in Canada for the next few years. This doesn't mean that I won't ever have a Greek address as I agree that to leave home and never go back is something that you can't ask a person to commit to ~ but in the short term, it looks like we will be purchasing a winter jacket for Akis, cause it is rather cold for the Greek. The decision on Toronto over Vancouver is still an ongoing debate and probably won't be something we resolve before I get to see him in March, but at least there is a plan. Which I must say is quite remarkable given our 'take it as it goes' approach to things!

With the Infinity travelling up through Alaska, I also suspect that Dad will be quick to see when he can come and visit again. I know he has been keen to do this run, so I suspect his cruise count will be increasing again this year!

I know I didn't send out the 'seasonal' greetings ~ and to be honest, the moment came, passed and I figured you would all forgive me, I look forward to catching up with those that are around when I get off in Feb. May the New Year bring you many good things as well!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger Lesley said…

    *head jerking up from coffee*

    What? Ring? Decisions! Oh MY! Need to for coffee to hit for more.....

     
  • At 5:06 AM, Blogger Lesley said…

    obviously need more coffee to string a sentence together that makes sense.

    The above should have read ~ Need to 'wait' for coffee to hit for more.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home