Carrie's Adventures

Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Bruce County Winter...

Well it would seem that I arrived just in time to experience the tail end of the winter season. So much so, that the storm which rolled in the first weekend of March took down power lines, closed hiways, and generally was a pain in the ass.

As Dad came by my room before leaving on Friday morning suggesting that I get some sweatshirts, I woke out of my dreamy state to grunt 'What?!?'. He then informed me that we had been out of power since 1am the previous night and as it all started to fit into place ~ NO POWER = NO HEAT. As I curled up and tried to pretend that it was part of my bad dream, I snuggled deeper into the covers and prayed that my neighbour (who works for the Public Utilities) would work faster... Come on John!

My prayers were answered at 10am when I heard the HotTub kick back to life and it was one of the best sounds that week. I knew another 30 minutes in bed and the house would return to it's post blackout temperature and things would be good.

What wasn't so good was the temperature. With all of my warm belongings being in storage in Vancouver, I am limited to what I could piece together ~ 2 pairs of pant, 2 long sleeve shirts, a polo fleece, a zip up sweater and a Gortex jacket. I had to pillage the mitten cupboard and was pleased to see my mitts with Dummy strings were still there ~ god love Grandma for making them for her then 25yr old Granddaughter ~ and was able to find an ear warmer. What strikes me is most people head south for their vacation... I have given up the warm beaches of the Caribbean for the Snow of Bruce County... So much for being like everyone else...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home