Carrie's Adventures

Sunday, July 24, 2005

And then there were the Irish...

We reached the shores of Ireland and to be honest I hadn’t really done much in terms of research on what one could do in Cork or even what was in Cobh ~ pronounced ‘cove’. What I did discover after speaking with our knowledgeable Concierge was that Cobh was the final port where the Titanic embarked passengers prior to the crossing. What I have also learned is that low and behold, this will be the final port for the Constellation prior to it’s crossing back to North America in September. Now if I were overly superstitious, I would be very grateful that I am signing off before the crossing… As it is, I think I will just be glad to be going home for a rest.

The town is really quite small. Like Southampton, only smaller and without the stop light. I know, you don’t think it really gets much smaller than that, but it can. The buildings however were in the bright colours that I love and the folks in town seemed to be very personable, except when we asked the waitress if she would be able to help some of our friends who were waiting at a table outside.





Photos to come later ~ the satellite really sucks right now...

Pam and stopped for lunch at one of the local pubs ~ The Trade Winds ~ where we sampled a pint and partook in the fish and chips. And for those of you who have dined with me, I am still on my ‘things that don’t swim’ diet, when you cover it with enough tartar sauce it becomes yummy. What amazed me was that there were more pubs than you could count on two hands for this wee hamlet. What is up with that? Good lord, maybe these folks drink more than my friends and I do…


Unfortunately time did not permit me to head into Cork as it was about a half hour away. But I realize that the scenery is incredibly beautiful and with the ratio of 20:1, sheep to humans, it may be similar to the drive through New Zealand. (Sorry Liz, didn’t check out the price of lamb for you…)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home