Carrie's Adventures

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Belfast

Well I am not quite sure what to make of Belfast. I didn’t get a chance to spend much time there. George wanted to get off the ship and given that the Hike was coming and I had been off the previous two days, you need to concede some things. So I spent a quick 2 hours in town only to discover that there really wasn’t much in town. I was the only person on the double-decker shuttle bus, so I had my own personal tour. The driver was born and raised in Belfast and according to him there is no better place to live. The city has changed significantly over the years, but unfortunately those that fled during the unrest with the IRA have not returned. I did manage to see the courthouse which is where a lot of the protests took place. It is difficult to imagine how scary it would have been to live in the city where your safety is compromised.

Aside from my wee tour, I managed to see City Hall. Surrounded by green space that everyone uses as a park, there are also memorials there. The one that caught my eye was the one for those who perished in the Titanic disaster.




I was unaware that the ship had been built in the shipyards in Belfast ~ but it is true.


The countryside looked beautiful. Rolling hills, rocks ~ lots of sheep… and I suspect that I would have enjoyed just getting in the car and driving around more than seeing the sites of the city. But hey, I guess that is what this is for, to figure out what you like and where you would go back to….

Ireland is definitely on the ‘return’ list. Liz ~ are you up for a road trip?!? I’m sure the Avocado would make it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home