Carrie's Adventures

Monday, July 25, 2005

Dublin!

In Dublin’s fair city, where the girls are so pretty…

What an amazing city! We had to take the shuttle, which was about 20 minutes into town and it gave us a picture of what Dublin could be like in rush hour. I’m still thinking it is far better there than Toronto or Vancouver!

So once again, I wandered into town without much direction or thoughts on what I wanted to see. First rule of thumb is to get off the shuttle and head in the direction of the masses. With this done, I stumbled across Grafton Street.

Recalling all of my Irish Maeve Binchy novels, I realized that this is one of the more major streets in Dublin. Closed off as a pedestrian mall, I strolled to the end of the street and stumbled upon St. Stephen’s park. Similar to what Stanley Park would be to Vancouver, especially in terms of location and use, the park was filled with people hanging out enjoying the scenery.




After leaving the park, I ran into a crew member who had hiked the distance to the Guinness brewery. Now there was a location I should have made it to. Unfortunately the walk was about 30 minutes to get there and time was not going to permit me to visit ~ but I did make it down to the Temple bar

where there are numerous pubs, cobblestone streets and all things that seem to represent Europe, and past a statue of Molly Malone. The cool part from my perspective was the guy playing the drum. It reminded me of Gerry O’Kane and the days of sharing pints at the Wellington!



My one cultural stop ~ if you can call it that ~ was to the Church. Not quite sure what is so spectacular about it, other than that is is quite a nice looking building. Pam was not able to get out early due to lost luggage but had really wanted to see the church. So I hoofed it the extra 5 minutes for her to get a photo ~ I really should ask what the scoop is with it...

Made it back to the ship, in time, but realized that this is definitely a city that one could have a lot of fun in and I will need to come back! Here's hoping Pam decides that when she moves to Europe it will be to Dublin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home