Carrie's Adventures

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Brugge, Belgium

First time to Belgium was 3 years ago with Liz. We boarded the train in Luxembourg and headed to Brussels for the night. It was my first exposure to Belgian fries with sauce. I tell you, that and the waffles were going through my mind as I got on the shuttle.

I wasn't sure what to expect but I know Liz had been here before and one of the Assistant Chief Housekeepers also said Brugge was beautiful. So I got off the shuttle and made my way to the train station. It is amazing how you can get just about anywhere by train. For 4 Euros, I had my return ticket and I was off. The ride on the train really made me feel like I had the day off, which can be quite the feat.

I arrived in the city, no map and decided to follow the signs. It took me into town where all the streets were cobblestone, and it seemed like every street took you to the centre square.

Once in the square, there was the ever present monument to some leader and the quaint cafes that line the square. The beverage of choice was of course the Belgian Beer, and the fries were not difficult to find from here...





After exploring the square, I wandered through the small side streets. It looks like it is so peaceful here ~ quiet streams running through your back yard and single lane streets that don't lend themselves to great amounts of traffic.



Heading out of town things became more modern. As you can tell by the water fountain!




The port town that we docked in was quite cute as well. With only 3 blocks from the train station to the beach, it reminded me of other European beach communities. The long expanses of beach huts, and cafes set up to enjoy the food and the sun...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home