Carrie's Adventures

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Catching up...

I arrived home to discover that a few folks have returned to grace the shores of Port Elgin. I was home for 3 weeks and it was great to be able to catch up with friends. The surprising thing being that returning home is some what like seeing an episode of a Soap Opera that you watched years ago ~ the characters are mostly the same, and while there are some minor changes, a few days/hours of observation and you are back in the know. It is like you have never left.

It was really quite cool to be able to catch up with folks I haven't seen in YEARS. And you begin to realize how quickly you can lose touch with people...

Nina and Scott
Nina is one of two who have returned to her roots and purchased a home in Port Elgin. With their daughter Ally in tow, Scott fills his days learning the Locksmithing trade ready to take over when Nina's dad decides he is ready to retire and Nina is now looking to rejoin the workforce. Ally is a doll ~ but doesn't sleep like most babies. Nina has very little down time as a long nap for Ally is under and hour. The poor girl may need to go back to work to get a bit of rest! She told me that life changes when you have a baby ~ and while others had told me that ~ I think hearing it from her made it really sink in.


Susan and Peter
Living in Port Elgin, their family expanded a couple of years ago to a group of 4. While I didn't meet Lucas ~ the newest member ~ I did see Sydney and it is amazing to see how quickly they grow. She has definitely settled into Port Elgin life and has been asking when Akis and I will be returning to raise our family...

Molly and John
Up from Guelph, it has been a number of years since I have seen them. I met their youngest daughter Nelly and remember meeting Meridith when she was just a baby, so I am finding it overwelming to see the passage of time as she is now a bounding youngster. They are also taking care of Molly's brother's girlfriend's dog. This is one of the larger dogs I have seen. He is beautiful, that could be attributed to the 'grooming' that they just had for him ~ the catch ~ it took 2 days to groom this dog ~ he has that much fur!

Kristen and Mike
I haven't seen Kristen in at least 4 or 5 years. Kristen, now married, is now teaching down in the city and is expecting their first baby. She is due in May which makes her just over 6 months pregnant and she looks fantastic. I say she doesn't look that big ~ Kristen disagrees saying that there is little room left for the baby. It will be interesting to see how much bigger she gets going into the 'home stretch'

Cindy
I think the last time I saw Cindy, I was living in Toronto, which gives you an idea on how long ago that was! Currently teaching down in Stratford sharing a house with her brother, her life has been on a bit of a whirlwind as she has met the man of her dreams, bought a house back in Port Elgin and is planning her wedding for later this year. she seems to be embracing all of the 'stressful' life events in stride taking. Who knows, perhaps there will be babies in the future as well!

Liz and Athan
Having just moved to Canada to be with Liz, the pair have bought themselves a home in Bayfield. They are moving at the end of March, and similar to the last time I saw Liz in Luxembourg 3 years ago, they were midst move. Athan is currently working on the house, and had to strip out the bathroom due to an unfortunate bursting of a pipe. They are also midst wedding plans. With the ceremony taking place in early May, I am hoping to be able to extend my vacation by a week so I can be there. In true 'Carrie and Liz' form, we managed to have our regular Trivial Pursuit game and damn it if Athan didn't come out on top.

The cool part about catching up with Liz is that no matter how long it has been since I have seen her, it is as though I saw her last week. As I left, I did promise that won't be 3 years until I see her next.
Athan and Liz during our great Chicken Wing Crawl in Bayfield... =)

Karen and Lesley
On my way to see Krista and Craig, I stopped in Toronto to have dinner with the girls. It has been at least 18 months since I last saw them and it was a good giggle to meet up with them again. Karen is looking to have her man move in with her and her family ~ a pretty big step for her and it is amazing to learn that she and John have been together for 4 years. Lesley was excited to hear about the plans and I hope she takes me up on the offer to come and cruise with us. I think it would be a riot to see her and St. John onboard.

Overall, I did have a lot of time to chill out and relax in addition to the catch up. I realize that being away on the ship for months at a time means that I need to make a more concerted effort to keep in touch. Maybe I should just start with making more regular blog updates!! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home